About this Show

Glenn Beck

News/Business. Guests discuss the day's top political, entertainment and business stories.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 1236

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Glenn 25, Us 10, America 3, Me 3, Israel 3, Purifyed 2, Glenn Beck 2, Kirby 1, North Carolina 1, Wellesley 1, Tucson 1, Irvine 1, California 1, Rutgers Daily Newspaper 1, Iowa State University 1, Truman State University 1, Closed Captioning Services , Inc 1, Aps 1, Yale 1, Redland 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Glenn Beck    News/Business. Guests discuss the day's top  
   political, entertainment and business stories.  

    July 6, 2011
    5:00 - 6:00pm EDT  

5:00pm
if you're so inclined, check it out. if not, i'll see you here tomorrow. captioned by closed captioning services, inc >> glenn: hello, america. indoctrination is happening in our schools throughout the country, that's why we need to be engaged in what is happening in our schools and our community. we have a choice. we are going to lose our country or we are going to save our country. but standing still and doing nothing will guarantee its loss. earlier in week, i told you what being caught in tuson as the controversial mexican-american studies program. i have like to call it treason. in tuesday's school board meeting, a woman, mom stood up to read excerpts from the textbook.
5:01pm
watch what happened. >> page 72 of this radical [bleep] page 73, [bleep] >> i'm sorry. i am going to ask that the language be not mentioned in the public meetings. we have young people in this room. it's inappropriate. >> you're right. >> how do you teach it in your classes. >> glenn: yeah. that is the point she's reading from a textbook that the school uses to teach kids as young as third grade. the gets on the school board are like hey, hey, careful, let's not use that language there are kids here. yeah, and they're reading the school books every day. something like this happens in tucson, we think it's rare. we thousand it's rare in high school. but it is happening in colleges all across the country. yesterday, we talked about like a voice in the wilderness. but there is anything, anything that is more fun than
5:02pm
being a conservative on college campus. can you imagine being more alone. colleges and universities often tout of an atmosphere of openness and acceptable there is ans a the e risk that goes with it -- asterisk that goes with that. mahmoud ahmadinejad welcomed with open arms. but look another what happened at this visit of irvine last year. >> i had the prime minister of israel. [ applause ] >> now that you have made your point, stand up and leave. >> glenn: he had to be escorted out of the room.
5:03pm
so he took 20-minute break. he was interrupted ten times and it ended up in the arrest of 11 students. this isn't an isolated incident. views that are considered to be unpopular or conservative have come under attack by liberals on campuses all across the country. iowa state university, conservative coming out week event. sponsored by the college republicans. the group got an e-mail response from the university professor saying "f" you, republicans. she apologized it but said that the announcement was disturbing and offensive. really? truman state university in missouri. popular leftist married to a school professor, destroyed a display advertising a republican sponsored event. he tore down the group signs, rip them up and spat on the students representing the group. the university of california merced, three students wanted to explain the country tax system. so they asked their peers to offer up some of their own
5:04pm
hard-earned gpa points to some of the students who weren't scoring as high. take a look at what happened. >> glenn: mm-hmm. they're here in the studio audience. i love you guys. [ laughter ] fantastic job by the students that came up with the question. they have more of them. but when it comes to give up something that the students earned, the students aren't so willing to give them up. it sounds like a greedy students, doesn't it? they probably have privileges, you know, the lower performing students didn't have.
5:05pm
now they're just greedy. maybe a mom or dad bought them a fancy laptop. why won't they share? the university of redland in california, students supporting the state prop 8 law, which doesn't recognize same-sex marriage, posted a sticker on her dorm room door. there it is. yes, on 8. she was to to take it down because it was hate speech. and stimulus dollar, they were trying to prove the money was worth as much as monopoly money. the school administrator said they never got the school ears permission because they never filled out the proper paper wok. indoctrination isn't new, but how far does it go back? i want you to go to glennbeck.com. because i don't want to spend a lot of time on this. this is the horizon of the future for america.
5:06pm
socialism. what's in it for you? i love this. the youth review. this is from communist in 1953 in america. all the same stuff. hey, students, you have to rise up. the man is giving you the shaft. it's the same exact stuff. view the historical document sent to me that outline plan to target the children. then compare them. you never guess which generation got the brunt of this propaganda. they are the ones that are currently jamming it down the throat of the university students. the only way to undo the mess they created is e-2. education. edge kate yourself. go down to glennbeck.com. now, on this program, we stalked about courage. courage is going to become more important. tonight, you will meet some
5:07pm
young americans who have courage. those stories i just gave you, all the people, the ones that got spit on and everything else, they're here. college conservatives. it's not easy to stand up and be a voice when you know your opinion is going to be reason for people to attack you or vilify you. i used to really believe you could judge a person by their friends. you still can. more and more these days you can judge a person by their enemies. these kids will have more and more enemies but they are standing up. also here, right in the center, a conservative, a columnist. she hosts the self-titled show f.c. cuff. i don't know what kind of ego maniac that is. what is up with that? she also is on glennbeck.com. she does a tv show on
5:08pm
glennbeck.com that you can see every day. but she speaks around colleges and universities. we have been talking a lot recently about how alone people are on colleges. you have been bringing it to my attention. >> because it's the same everywhere i go. wellesley, north carolina state, it doesn't matter what part of the councilmember i'm ct part of the country i'm in. they're all alope. they're in the woods. they have administrators, professors and college students against them. it's like they are the only americans in some foreign prison. they are paying to be there. that is the infure rating part. they -- infuriating part. they are paying for an education they're not getting. >> glenn: that is amazing. i have went to college when i was 30. i only took one class. it could only afford one class. it was at yale. the professor yelled at me.
5:09pm
he said what are you reading, mr. beck? i asked a question and he didn't like the question. i think i only told him off because i was 30. i didn't really care. he said what are you reading? i told him. he said don't read this guy. he'll screw you up. read this. next week i came back and i asked him the same question. he said are you still reading that guy? didn't i tell you to read the other guy? yeah, i read that. i got it. now aps my question. -- now answer my question. these guys, these professors don't understand that they work for you. how many people here have been in a classroom with a belligerent professor? oh, my gosh. all but five? all but five. anybody want to give me a story? yes, you. >> my teacher actually got up and talked about you, glenn. she said you were a liar, you knew you were lying, you were
5:10pm
just doing it to make money. it had your book with me. i had "broke." i'm carrying around "broke" and every classroom i went in to, the professor after that said that guy is crazy. don't read him. he's doing it for money. no, he speaks the truth. >> glenn: did you ask them, could you please take this book and dissect it and show me where? show me where this is guy is wrong? >> that's what i presented. >> glenn: they didn't do it, did they? >> no. they just kept double-talk. >> glenn: the first time we did it, i did "an inconvenient book" and the press hammered me for it. because they said you didn't have any footnotes. how can we tell where you got all your facts. so when i wrote "brook -- when i wrote "broke," i think there are 50 pages. a whole section. nobody has ever reviewed the book. i challenged students to take the book in because they said the same thing, the professors say oh, that's ridiculous. give it to them. i have signed books for the
5:11pm
professor. find the errors. we'll correct them. find them. they can't. those people are cowards. anybody who ever shouts you down is a coward. show us where you're wrong. defend your position. they don't want to. because they can't. you can best them if you just do your open homework. who else is -- let me go with brian. then who is the one that was spat on? we'll come to you. brian? >> one time in a political class a year ago it was brought up, a student brought up how people are silly about president obama being a communist. it posed the question, as you have done very well on this program, for a couple years now, well, is it crazy to ask the question? president obama has many communist friends and people who call themselves
5:12pm
communists. how am i crazy for asking that question? he laughed at me. he was sighing. then the rest of the class laughed at me. i'm sitting there thinking boy, this is a college class and i can't contribute without getting attacked. >> glenn: can you ask that professor in the next class, excuse me, professor, why do you have tenure? what will they say? they deserve it. for what reason? it's tenure. what is the reason? anybody? >> so they can't get fired. >> glenn: why? >> academic freedom. which mean what is? >> tough right to teach what you want to teach. >> glenn: it's so someone can stand up and say, i got news for you, gang. the world is round, not flat. and they won't lose their job. that is what it's for.
5:13pm
now they're telling you the world is flat. they can't get fired for what they say, but you are intimidated. now, professor, how does that make sense in your pinheaded little world? how does that make sense? you don't want to be pushed around. you don't want to be threatped. yet you threaten me. teach me, professor. teach me how to think. not what to think. or are you not up to the challenge? my daughter said the other day, she is in college. she actually, nobody knows she is my daughter. she was actually in a class where they said much worse about me. it's bad. i called the school and tried to ask them the question how much money do i have to give
5:14pm
you every quarter to have you not fill my daughter's head with lies? they didn't have an answer. my daughter said she -- she is an "a" student. she works her brains out. i was just in israel. i said come with me. she said dad, i've got a test. finals week. i have to study. i mean did you study? do you have it now? she said yeah. but i want an "a." nobody is going to care. you're not going to get out in the real world and someone will say wait a minute, you had a "b"? nobody is going to care. nobody. why do you care so much? why do you care? why is there approval so -- their approval so important to you. let me ask you something. do you really think you're going to spend $100,000 on an education and it really is going to make that much
5:15pm
difference in the world coming your way? i'm a self-educated man. i ain't no dummy. bring it on , profes somewhere. bring it on. what are you afraid of? when it comes to them? anybody? what is the worst they can do to you? >> well, we were in a biology class together and our professor on a rant said creation is ridiculous, ridiculous theory for how the world began. >> glenn: professor, tell me how the world began. >> the big bang theory, of course. >> glenn: no. now know what that is? there is a burning match. where did the match come from? who struck the cover? it's called first cause. don't call it god.
5:16pm
professor, tell me what first cause is. "the big bang." no, sir. that is a reaction to something. tell me first cause. and who caused it? what caused it? >> i completely agree. the funny thing was the two of us were talking after class and i forget which one of us it was, but we posed the question why didn't either up with of us say anything? the only answer that could come to either one of our heads was i don't want to get a bad grade, or he has to write me a recommendation letter. >> glenn: believe me, believe me. don't be bullied by these people. they are counting op it. they are counting op it. you are examples. have you looked -- i want you to go online and i want you the look at the picture of the marchs with martin luther
5:17pm
king. i want you to look at them. i have. over and over and over again. i have looked at them. they were afraid. they were determined but they were afraid. but they linked arms. just a few of them at first. it grew. they changed the world. have no fear. what is the worst? they can kill you? really? seriously? oh, well. change the world. change the world. back in a second.
5:18pm
5:19pm
5:20pm
5:21pm
>> glenn: tonight, we're with the generation that will turn the corner. you will be the generation that either restores this country, or lets it go. and i have great faith that you are going to restore it. but it ain't going to be easy, because you're in the minority. you were spat on by your
5:22pm
professor? >> it was my professor's husband. >> glenn: isn't that sweet? >> right. >> glenn: what happened? >> well, i, my conservative organization and i at truman state we host speakers every year through the policy institute. we have a table set up to promote our conservative ideals and the speakers and evening. he angrily approached us and ripped off all of or fliers, posters and everything. before he left he turned around and spat on me. then just walked away. >> glenn: what did you say? >> i was disgusted. here is an individual who reseeming rights, sent nasty hate mail about our conservative organization. >> glenn: no, you are the one that. >> exactly! he belittles us and he is not employed by the university. >> glenn: did you file a complaint? >> well, we attempted to, and there is nothing we could do because he's not employed so he can't really do anything
5:23pm
because the university isn't responsible for those who are not on their payroll. >> glenn: convenient. i have to tell you, you three, you three trouble-makers. >> you did videos that you have done with the one with the redistribution of grades, which was genius. the next one, what was the other one? >> taking a penal to pay off their share of the national debt. maintain all the wonderful social programs, that are accustomed to. >> glenn: none of them. i won't do it. crazy. why do i pay that? exactly! this is the way to attack. they are instead engaging in no debate. shout-down. intimidation. that's what your professors are.
5:24pm
they are bullies. that's what this, all this is. communism and marxism. it can never win up here. how many times do we have to try it and how many countries? how many millions of people has to die before the world says hey, marxism doesn't work. that is why they have to bully. so you know you're on the right side when you want to have a debate. and when you can make points like you guys did. how difficult was it to, how difficult is it to not get angry, just win? >> quite difficult not to get angry. especially in the g.p.a. video, when the students can't come up with a valid or concrete reason to why g.p.a. is different than income. and to see them support one system and philosophy of
5:25pm
redistributing wealth and be the same or share the g.p.a. points. not to see same parallel, that the philosophy that is for if they only support it when it's not there -- only thing affected. yeah. >> glenn: as long as it's somebody else, it's always fine. let's play a little bit of it. here it is. >> do you have a 4.0? that is an excessive g.p.a. so we're going to eliminate the federal tax trackture, tax the rich and help those in lower income brackets do you really feed a 4.0? >> yeah. >> is it not the same. money is different. >> why do you need a 4.0? people earning their money have the same argument. it's a selfish argument. >> this is an indication of wealth. >> isn't your income indication of that? >> you have to work hard for the money. >> glenn: you could feel it, right? you could feel them inside going oh, crap. >> they can't come up with any
5:26pm
reasons. every person said it's different. when asked why? it's just different. nothing concrete, nothing valid. nothing. >> glenn: how many of you are republicans? hmm. how many of you are conservatives? does anybody here feel like they're a libertarian. kirby, you go, girl! good. why are you a libertarian? derivatives and there are certain areas where i didn't agree with the republican party line. >> glenn: who can tell me the difference between a republican and libertarian? c'mon, guys. >> republicans like to spend money. just as much -- >> glenn: i don't think you raised your hand as a republican, did you? tell me, somebody who raised their hand as republican, tell me the difference. oliver? >> jeply social issues where they differ from the
5:27pm
libertarians. lishtarians want to stay -- >> glenn: let's take the social issues for a second. would you say that our founders were libertarian, or were they republicans? >> i'd say they were libertarians. but i think right to life is something that needs to be protected. >> i think you can make a libertarian argument for, to be pro-life. but libertarianism has more con analysis stepsy intellectually than republican talking points of saying we're going to cut spending but then when you get in power there is no difference. >> glenn: you know what? i think you're right on that, but that doesn't even matter. again, it requires you to do the work. it requires you. anything that takes the power away from the individual. we lealize drugs. do you know how many people are strung out on heroin?
5:28pm
why? the country is not prepared for that responsibility. you can do hardcore libertarian when the country is prepared to do this? you need help? you want to get off heroin? "no, man, i just need money." oh, okay, that's good. i'm going to go into my office now. okay? when the country is prepared to say i will help you, when you will help yourself, otherwise i have to step over you. but the country isn't built like that now. you have to build the country into that. you have to get yourself and those around you to say responsibility for your own actions. mike? >> i had a professor that suggested if anyone in our class was going to do hard drugs they do heroin. >> glenn: how much did you pay him for that? his reason? >> that, it was good to be knocked out all day.
5:29pm
it preserves your youth. [ laughter ] >> glenn: i believe we just met our first professor that is actually on heroin. back in just a second.
5:30pm
5:31pm
5:32pm
5:33pm
i'm patti ann browne. in his first ever twitter town hall, president obama answered questions this afternoon from users through the online social networking site. taxes, the debt ceiling and the stimulus among the most popular themes of the tweet an arraignm today for the f.b.i. most wanted crime boss. james whitey bulger pleaded not guilty for republican tiering indictment that accuses him in 19 murders. tsunami warning has been canceled in new zealand after the quake. for more on the president's afternoon on twitter, go to
5:34pm
glennbeck.com. en core presentation of glenn beck returns in a moment. but first, bret baier previews "special report." >> bret: new details on operation fast and furious and which charges about which government officials knew what when. the president's top economic advisors joins us live at the top of the hour now back to the glenn beck show. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ >> glenn: we're talking to the clem conservatives and asking them what life is like on college. hopefully, trying to give you a little bit of fire in the belly. for standing up for what you believe. claire? >> we're told the only thing we can control in college is our grades. that is why we're scared. only thing we have control of.
5:35pm
increasing tuition every year. >> why does it increase every year? >> 5% this year. >> it's interesting that colleges are increasing faster than healthcare. in the last ten years, yet no up with says a word about that. yes? >> right now government is pushing a program where everybody should go to college. 50% of the graduates are going to college program that might not be the best of them. >> you don't have to go to college. you don't have to go to college. >> look, i was a dummy for a long time. but you don't have to go to college. self-made men. you know what george washington -- really only self-esteem problem came from? he didn't go to college.
5:36pm
everybody -- he felt. here he was, an admired man, he felt he wasn't up to it, because he wasn't, because he hadn't been anointed by the smart ones. please. please. challenge everything. let me tell you something. the only thing you can control, the only thing you can control is what you choose to do. you can't control the outcomes, you can't control the grades, you can't control everybody else. nothing. but you can control your -- i know, because i've done it. you should see my library. it's the library of a serial killer. because i have everything in it. and i went, when i first started, when i couldn't afford to go to college, i decided to do it myself. i have went in the bookstore, the library. i pulled the people i thought would argue. if this guy were alive and this guy were alive, man, i'd like to listen to them. i got "mein kampf" and alan
5:37pm
dershowitz, nostradamus and pope john paul. have at it. that's the way you learn. you can do it yourself. have some confidence. forget about the grades. learn. who cares if you walk out with a 4.0 but no knowledge? it's the knowledge. we have been talking about this for a while. >> the good news is that conservatism on college campuses is what counts as rebellion these days. you have heard the stories of the kids who are going out, and they're emboldened to become activists. that is the good news. i don't have to tell you. we are prepared to help them in the fall, i don't want to say too much. >> glenn: i don't know what you're saying. >> we don't want to say too much, but over the summer, the students should subscribe to the newsletter and keep in touch with us. >> glenn: it's free.
5:38pm
>> come fall, you'll have tools at your disposal that you have not had. i have been there. i've been in college campuses. i went to a bunch of colleges. you will have the tools you need. you will not be alone anymore. >> glenn: are you familiar with the 9.12 project? okay. not doing a 9.12 project for colleges. but i'm, i am leaving fox because if we lose your generation, we lose. i have to concentrate on your generation. i'm asking you, if you are in college now, you stay in touch with as many people as you can and you tell us what you need. because we're working on things so when you come back in the fall, we're just going to smoke them out. uh-oh. that sounded like george w. bush. smoke 'em out. smoke 'em out.
5:39pm
aaron? >> we were talking about taking action. i'll columnist for the rutgers daily newspaper. i write about usually pro-israel and conservative issues. i have been threatened to be sued. i have been petitioned by the outreach coordinator of the middle eastern studies department to be kicked out of my job. i've been physically threatped by the same woman cussing me out of a meeting pounding her chest and saying she's palestinian and i have to get through her before i can get -- >> glenn: you know the first death threat i ever had? first death threat, i get a lot of them. i spend $1 million a year in perm security. it comes out of my pocket. for death threats. the first one i had was a palestinian that called me up and said you have got to shut up. this is right after september 11. we are a peace loving people.
5:40pm
if you don't shut up, i will behead you myself. i was like okay, i don't think you should -- you're not helping the cause. wear it with a badge of honor. >> rutgers earlier in the year originally had student-fee sponsored program to send a flotilla to gaza. luckily the state department said that is illegal. you can't do that. i was again physically threatped by students. the people who say they are full of peace and they're the ones that want to bring peace to the world are telling me they want to bash my face in with a crowbar. >> glenn: i know this. it's people on both sides, not usually, but there are people on both sides. you must never ever become them. you get angry. you must never ever become
5:41pm
them. get used to it, it is only going to get worse. especially on israel issues. it will only get worse. stand fast and learn courage. back in a second.
5:42pm
5:43pm
5:44pm
5:45pm
>> glenn: we're with college students who have had enough on campus. eric? >> so, i actually was getting involved with the 9.12 project over the summer. i attend these wonderful people's meetings,ed they talk about contemporary politics. i went back to my university and shared my experiences with my friends. they thought it was a horrible idea that i actually got involved with the tea party. and talked with these people. they think everybody is racist. all the tea party people. as a minority myself, they inviteed me to their christian
5:46pm
parties. they are very welcoming people. these are amazing people. in university, professors tell you to get to know people before you judge them but what happened here is the opposite. they didn't get to know the tea party people. >> which tells you what? what does it mean? >> these people are hypocrites. >> glenn: hypocrites or they have an agenda. they have a agenda. or they're just hypocrites. i would suggest to you that they have an agenda. because 23 you look at the other bread crumbs, you see they are not open to the ideas of the tea party or the 9:12 project. >> i think all of us have had the experience of expressing up pap lar ideas in the classroom and coming up with a disagreement. it can be frustrating but the
5:47pm
leftist biased is expected by us in academia but when it's institutionmized in the administration and you're denied the opportunity to express the ideas, that's a problem. regardless of what the bias is, you should never be denied free speech on college campus. it's the marketplace of ideas. >> glenn: tenure. >> we have had two separate events on our campus shut down. for silly reasons. the paperwork they made up and made us go through hoops to reschedule. ultimately denied. i think major problem is if you can't have that opportunity to express what you want to say. >> glenn: s.e. goes to colleges. i have won't go. nyu asked me overred over to speak no. i'm not going to waste my time. that's what will happen. you will waste my time. you do it all the time.
5:48pm
>> i do it through the claire group policy institute and yaf and groups that work hard to bring conservative speakers to colleges where this kind of thing happens all the time. all the time. >> glenn: do you know purifyed by fire means? what? >> is it organization -- >> glenn: no. what the term "purifyed by fire" means. when you take gold, and you put in a fire, you burp out its imperfections. now it's pure gold. right? purifyed by fire. that's what is happening. they're so incredibly intellectually weak in the end, who wins? you do. you are purifyed by fire. emily? >> this last spring i had the audacity to bring a conservative woman to speak on memnism. for that, one of my professors targeted me because i wouldn't
5:49pm
bend to his political beliefs. when it came time for the final exam, i made a mistake. i showed up at the wrong time. i am a conservative and i took responsibility for the mistake but the teacher made up reasons i couldn't take the exam. he said i didn't deserve to take it because i was a troublemaker and a bad student. i've been on the dean's list every semester. >> glenn: change your perspective here. good. wear it as a badge of honor. good. i'm a troublemaker. good. rise up and do it peacefully. good. wear it as a badge of honor. back in a second.
5:50pm
5:51pm
5:52pm
5:53pm
>> glenn: you were at the university of iowa. >> yes. >> glenn: the professor said. >> she was talking to the campus wide e-mail we got approved. [ inaudible ] her credentials at the bottom. >> glenn: you filed a complaint? >> yes. >> glenn: what happened? >> nothing. >> glenn: no, really? >> she still makes her salary. >> glenn: congratulations. bother you?
5:54pm
>> yeah. of course. when a professor uses that as civil discourse and is supposed to teach students. >> it shows what a mental midget she is. don't let it bother you. seriously. whoa. i heard that argue in the the eighth grade. gina, you go to columbia. >> i feel like it's challenging and disheartening as it may be to be conservative and voice con seventive view option a liberal campus, it's critical for young republicans, young conservatives to be doing this. not only to further development the argument and show what they believe, but to make the voice heard on the liberal campuses. >> glenn: how many read "federalist papers"? good for you. i made a challenge last year. somebody needs to rewrite them. college student. a law student.
5:55pm
he wrote me and i'm publishing them in two months. it is the thing that every single one of you should read and memorize. and be able to -- don't argue back and forth about republican and democrat. talk about the values and the prescription approximatelys of freedom. the founding of this country. again, wear your strife as a badge of honor. it is only making you more strong. you guys are going to boot camp. they're going to coffee shops. life is tough and then you die. but life is worth every second that you live. you guys are living. you win in the end. mental midget. you win in the end. back in just a second. [ applause ]
5:56pm
5:57pm
5:58pm
5:59pm
>> bret >> glenn: these guys are amazing. this is our future. they're getting stronger, and stronger and stronger with the abuse because it pushes them to the wall. revel in that. thomas jefferson will be a rebel again.

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)